Thursday 29 March 2012

Scandinavian Kitchen

I'm cooking a meal for two friends next week and one of them gave me a lovely Scandinavian cookbook, Scandilicious, so I'm going to cook some things out of it. That gave me an excuse to order some bits and pieces from the Scandinavian Kitchen, a shop in Great Titchfield St in London that also does mail order.
I only had one or two things in my 'basket' to start with but then I got to the checkout and saw the delivery price. So I thought, I'll just see how many more things I can get before the delivery charge goes up. I added some jam, two more packets of spelt crispbreads (soooooo good), all the time checking the delivery cost, some chocolate, another box of crunchy cereal -- still the same. In the end I thought I'd better stop as that wasn't a very rational way to shop, but it meant I had quite a few nice things in the box when it came. I wonder what the rosehip soup will be like..? The 'Plopp' chocolate bars were to make the kids laugh.
Jarlsberg and fennel muffins
I'm going to do a soup with these cheesy muffins, then something with a couple of posh salads and maybe ice cream for pudding if I can get an ice-cream machine this weekend. I feel an ice-cream maker is something that will add a little happiness to all four of our lives, so why not?

Chrissie, if you're still looking for a recipe for semla buns, there's one in this book so I could send it to you...

Don't forget to leave a comment on the Giveaway post before 2nd April if you haven't already (thanks if you have!)...

6 comments:

menopausalmusing said...

I am laughing at "plopps".............

Anything lavatorial and I am there!
We have just had brown cheese from Norway because my other half has waxed lyrical about it for years and I saw it on "Hairy Bikers"... decided to get him some for his birthday!

Jane said...

As I clicked on this post, a programme about Sweden started on Radio 4 - what syncronicity or serendipity, perhaps! I once worked on a conference on St Bridgit of Sweden at which most of the academics were Swedish (it was held in Devon). It was the nicest conference I ever administered as many had brought their families and we all had a great time. Must visit the Scandilicious shop

Jee said...

Sorry, meant the Scandinavian Kitchen shop :-)

Kitsch and Curious said...

Mmm, sounds delicious! I wish I could come round and sample! Sounds like you're going to have a great meal.

LAC EMP 2020 said...

I like the sound of those muffins. They would be great with the carrot and lentil soup we've got for lunch today! Tell me how they turn out and perhaps you could send me the recipe if they taste as good as they look? I broke my ice cream maker from over use... buy one and beware a new obsession.....

Chrissie said...

Jane this is wonderful! I'm sorry I'm so far behind with commenting on everyone's lovely blogs. I've certainly not given up on the idea of making buns, so I'll be after that recipe. The best I could do by googling it was to find a couple of recipes that I thought I could cobble together to make the version I would like!